The Canadian Boreal Initiative (CBI) is a national convener for conservation in Canada’s Boreal Forest. We are working across sectors to advance the balanced vision of the Boreal Forest Conservation Framework.
The goals of the Boreal Forest Conservation Framework include:
- Maintaining the health of the Boreal Forest;
- Protecting sustainable commercial interests and ensuring long-term economic benefits for Northern communities;
- Respecting the lands, rights and ways of life of First Nations;
- Getting the most environmental, social and economic benefit from the least raw material, cost and impact on the workforce; and
- Combining scientific knowledge, traditional knowledge and local perspectives to protect natural and cultural values.
CBI is committed to working with conservation groups, First Nations, resource companies and industries, governments and scientists to achieve:
- A network of large interconnected protected areas and conservation zones over at least half of Canada’s Boreal Forest; and
- The use of leading-edge sustainable development practices in remaining areas.